Sooooo. For those who don't know, my pediatrician whom I ABSOLUTELY ADORE switched practices. Her old on was 3 miles from my house... super convenient... the new one... Riverside; not so convenient, but I LOVE her so I was willing to follow. First, though, I asked her if they were taking patients with flexible immunization schedules, she called them and they said yes. So I didn't give Trev the Hep B shot in the hospital, because I think it's stupid.... it's an STD.... he stays at home an is breast-fed, Jeffrey and I don't have Hep B.... so there is no point. So we leave the house and get all the way to Riverside at 8:00am (through rush hour traffic), wait 20 minutes in the room for the NURSE PRACTITIONER not, my beloved Pediatrician, or even another doctor in the practice for that matter... strike 1 and 2. So the nurse comes in and she is nice... chatty but nice (as if I'm not chatty, heh). So she asks about the Hep B shot and I told he he didn't have it, and she says "that's okay we can give it to him at his 2 week appointment" and I said "well, I'm not planning on giving it to him at all" and she asks why, what are my fears...blah blah and says (for 15 minutes) (strike 3- I HATE lectures and no one is going to tell me what I HAVE to do with my kid). -how the doctors are very firm in their immunization schedule and they do not readily change it...and then some other random crap like how tylenol can be more dangerous if given too frequently... DUH... i'm not a moron.... basically trying to change my mind... not a smart woman. SOOOOO I shut my mouth despite my urge to give it to her straight (Jeffrey was proud and grateful for that). So UGH. HUGE HUGE BUMMER. So I decided to switch pediatricians, yet again... this is number 4 in less than 3 years. So my friend Heather recommended the place she was at before she was with Dr. Chally, which happens to be less than 1/2 a mile from my house. They couldn't fit me in for a consult, so we just made his appointment and decided I could switch again if I didn't like them. WELL. Wednesday I went to change his diaper and Trev's umbilical cord had all but ripped completely off and was oozy. So I called them and they fit me in that morning to look at it. They were GREAT. It's a new clean office and they had toys for Bailey, the doctor was really nice and looked at his frenulum and decided that maybe we should clip it, it would probably help with the latch on problems, so she referred me to an ENT, Dr. Wohl and said his personality is EH but he is a great doctor, and I said, good that's what I care about. So while I was on the phone with Dr. Whol's office, Bailey was naturally running crazy and Trev was screaming because he was starving, and given our latch issues, I wasn't about to pop my boob out right there, they'd all here me scream in pain... embarrassing. So they ask if he takes formula, and I had given him some the night before, because my boobs just couldn't take it anymore. So they go to the back and get some ready made Enfamil and sat down and feed him and read Bailey a story.... which made my life A THOUSAND times easier!! They sent me home with a whole box of ready made formula bottles and goodies... it was pretty great! They were all very very nice, and so far I am impressed. His well visit is Tuesday and I think he is going to have to get his belly button cauterized :( poor kiddo.
So, yesterday was the frenulum day. We went to the Pediatric ENT. Of course, our appointment was 1:40pm. Which is in the middle of mine, Bailey, and Trev's naptime. Right from the bat, it's gonna suck. So I put Bailey down for her nap, at this point she isn't going to get much like an hour... so i start getting ready and then wake Trevor up to feed him and look at the clock... CRAP. So I wake Bailey up, get her dressed and in the car, get Trev in the car (we are still on time at this point). He starts screaming, because he has been asleep for 3 hours and is now starving.... so I open a ready bottle and feed him most of it and then hit the road... it's only 10 minutes away... no big deal. Well, that wasn't enough so as I'm driving I have my arm turned behind me and with one hand I'm feeding Trev and the other I'm driving.... well he quickly guzzled the last little bit, with good timing because then the torrential downpour began. GREAT. So I took the route from Philips to Sunbeam thinking the office was on that end- WRONG it's at the San Jose and Sunbeam side- go figure. So we pull up and got a parking spot right in front of the doors, thankfully. Crap. How am I going to get both of them out the car dry?! Well, we managed ok. We are now 10 minutes late. So we did have to wait extra time in the waiting room, but it was fine, they had toys so Bailey played and Trev catnapped. The staff was all really nice, and not at all rude or upset that we were late. So we get back there and Dr. Wohl comes in... SUPER nice and kid friendly... slightly corny actually. Super nice though. So he is just getting a history, etc and Trev poops some FOUL poop... like gagging (formula kicking in). So he tells me he is going to make some more rounds, and let me go take care of that hot mess, so we go to the bathroom is diaper was mostly empty- so it was just gas. So we get back in the room and Bailey continues to defy everything I say and play with all the medical equipment, because she knew I couldn't do anything while holding Trev. Dr. comes in and tells me about the procedure, easy squeezy. He did say that now is the time to do it, because he is so young that there aren't any nerves or blood vessels there yet- so it shouldn't hurt. But he said he was going to numb it to be safe and give us all piece of mind. GOOD! So the nurse comes in and Trevor is sitting vertical on my lap, his little legs trapped between mine, and my hands were holding his down (which he HATED) and the nurse is holding his head still while the Dr. does his thing. So poor Trev was screaming bloody murder, probably freaked out, but at least he couldn't feel it. So then afterwards, of course it's been about 2 hours since he ate, so he is famished, again. So the Dr. steps out and tells me to go ahead and nurse him, and see if it helps the latch any. So pretty much as soon as he latches ( and it was more easily and way less painful, but it could have been a lucky latch.. who knows we will see) Bailey decides she has to pee. So she opens the door and runs into the hall looking for the bathroom. GREAT. So luckily I had put on my udder cover, so I walk out, baby on the boob and all (covered of courses) and Dr. Wohl is in the hall and tells one of the nurses to take Bailey to the bathroom- YES! THANK YOU! So she brings her back and we finish and the dr. comes back in a little later to check and see if it helped him latch and then makes a follow up appt. and we head home in the downpour. So. Poor little Trev has had an eventful week! Hopefully the doctor drama will get easier. It was such a last minute appointment that I didn't have time to get anyone to watch Bailey. But we survived. Glad it's over!
No comments:
Post a Comment